Thursday, 23 May 2013


 I set out to pick some nettles in the countryside garden!

I've intended to pick nettles to use in cooking forever - as most of you probably know the nettle is a very healthy plant, although it is considered a weed and not a utility plant - but always missed out on doing so at the right time of year.

Nettles should be picked when they carry new and fresh leave buds. I used only the top leaves of the plant.

 The rest of the plants I lay to soak in water; nettle-water makes a great natural fertilizer for you garden.

I made pesto of my nettles. After parbloiling the nettles I mixed them with what you'd more or less use for your regular basil pesto too; I made mine with sunflower seeds, a few almonds, garlic and of course olive oil.

 Gave it all a go in the mixer and put in a jar.

And had it with pasta and zucchini later in the evening. The nettle pesto is a rather milde in taste so I threw in some capers and sundried tomato nibs too to top it of. Noms.

(Btw I'm not the only one who was totally mindfucked by this about a decade ago am I? I can't help but recall it whenever I hear the word "nettle". Excellent choice to watch a few episodes if you can't sleep at night, ehrm...


rose japan said...

Beautiful photos...yummy delicious pasta

hugs rose jp

Hannah said...

This looks so deilcious xx

Bettieboo999 said...

We can not get video links at work but I am assuming the link is to Salad Fingers.... ha! I too- will forever associate nettles with Mr.Salad Fingers.

Sarah said...

I had never heard of Mr. Salad Fingers!
How can that be?!?!
Thank you for that tip, I think... ;-)

We used to have nettle soup when I was growing up. It tasted quite bland. But this pesto looks amazing!

(aka OldeSarah)

Ina - Years Since Yesterday said...

I picked nettles last weekend, too! I dried them to use in everything (basically) during the rest of the year.