Friday 23 March 2012

BURLESQUE WITH A BELLY

26 weeks belly pic!

I've received some questions about performing as pregnant - do I still do it, do many performers do it, and so on.

The answer is: yes, I have still been performing.  Do others do it too? I have no idea, I guess it depends.  Little Brooklyn did a special kind of performance at the NY Burlesque Festival in 2010. And I know two Finnish performers who did shows at burlesque happenings quite far in their pregnancies. It really does depends a lot on the event -we; our troupe, performs a lot at lot of different events. Not all events are suitable for a pregnant dancer. Some people really do not want to see that on stage, and I totally get it. So when we've done corporate events or such we've checked before that the crowd won't be chocked or offended. Then again at events that are specifically burlesque, it does not really matter - in fact, many find it a positive thing to see someone still performing although "very pregnant".

In the beginning I performed normally of course, although I myself felt pluffy and swollen as I was munching all the time to make the sickness and nausea go away. But it is not like I perform as before now of course, I can't get down on my knees and bend over and twirl exactly or do any furious shaking, neither do I fit most of my costumes. I haven't really been asked to perform solo anywhere at a long time, but we've had a lot of bookings for the group, and as you know; I will still be going to Milan to perform next week. I do that with numbers that don't involve any "risky" movement, for example TInker Bell and I choreographed our art deco number in such a way that I don't do any jumping or too fast movement.
But otherwise it is of course good to keep fit and I've been working out and doing light dancing during these months, staying physically in shape still as the kilos gather up. But otherwise I don't think it's that much of a thing really. Only it feels nicer on stage now, that I look pregnant, and not just like I've had a little too much to much over Christmas...

Picture by Kitty from last night's show at a gala dinner for a commerce chamber.belly and I performing with "permission". Very virgin like in white (HA HA).

18 comments:

Bea W. said...

You look amazing!!! I think you are one of the most beautiful pregnant women ever. Keep sticking out that belly as long as you like, can or the little person inside will let you. All the best for the rest of your pregnancy and of course afterwards too.
Xxxx

Katti said...

Tror du kommer att få en tjej! :) Riktig tjejmage! Snygga, vackra du! Trevligt helg! // Katti

astrogu said...

CIAO!!

i'm going to see you and the Itty performing in Milan next friday.
So glad i have the chance to see you live.
I really admire your courage to perform togheter your sweet belly! beign mum is one of the most brave thing a woman could experience.. and this values double!!

well done!

see you in milan!!
;)
astrogu

melina bee said...

aw, I didn't realize you were expecting until now. So is my best friend...
well, you look great and that is awesome you can keep performing. what has the audience response been like?

Unknown said...

WOW! Beautiful! I would love to see a pregnant burlesque perfomence, I can imagine that its something really speciall!

BlueMoonDame said...

I have so much respect for you doing this!!! Your kiddo is going to think his/her mommy is so rad!
Stay happy and healthy!

danielle said...

you look beautiful!and so soes your costume, burlesque outfits are always stunning!x
new blog
www.beautifulthings-danielle.blogspot.co.uk

♥ Agatha ♥ said...

I would have called this post Beautiful & Burlesque with a Belly !!! You look awesome & what a amazing picture to show to your mini-you-to-be ;)

xxx take care

Tanisha E said...

sweet.. happy baby bump

Katja said...

Good for you! You look great, is everything going ok? Hope so! Is your nursery ready? Have a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...

I got awful stretchmarks so I wouldn't have looked any good as a pregnant burlesque artist. Even though they do change colour they're still there and I'd still never wear anything that would show they exist. Shame some skins don't stretch even though pregnancy and motherhood are meant to be what women are built for. Hope you're one of the lucky ones that don't get them! And seriously, I only got them the last month of the pregnancy.

Mrs Munster said...

Thanks for this post. Answered my question. You look fabulous. And you make pregnancy look glamorous :)

Irac said...

You go girl! You're an inspiration to all! :)

FairyFiligree said...

Thank you for responding to my question about that experience. Great way to dance your way through the pregnancy. Remember to put on loads of cream on that growing belly to avoid stretch marks. Massage and massage and massage every evening before going to Bed. I found it exceptionally soothing and after 2 babies have no stretch marks at all!

Anonymous said...

Lovely blogg! <3

xox

Ms. Falcon said...

gorgeous!

:)

Zoë Winters said...

I LOVE this picture! You and It are wonderful! And I think it is fantastic you are still performing! :) Have an amazing week! x

Anonymous said...

This is gr8.

http://www.facebook.com/saffronfashions