Wednesday 22 June 2016

THE PEACH DRESS


This peachy/salmon pink dress is one of my favourite dresses. I've always had a thing for shirtwaist dresses and this one has pockets as well which kind of seals the deal. I bought it at a vintage store in Berlin when we were there with Eddi in 2010.

But -there's always a but - it is a bit too tight over the chest and is now hopefully next to my sewing machine waiting for alteration!

The top always was a bit on the smaller side and I'd often wear a slip of lace top underneath in order to be able to keep the buttons opened as far down as possible. But nowadays it just makes me look stuffed, so I can't really rely on that trick anymore.

I have been thinking about how to alter it to add spaced around the bust; adding a strip of fabric in the middle of the dress, under/next to the decorative panel that runs vertically across the top, or make it diamond shaped or so? Or do I just add more fabric from under the arms? The dress it's rather well made so I am afraid to fck it up. Any sewing wizards out there with advice?

7 comments:

The Glamourologist said...

Absolutely no sewing advice at all but that colour is so beautiful on you.

Danielle said...

I don't have much advice on how to alter this but, I often run into the same problem with vintage clothing. I have seen people put triangular panels under each armpit. Seems like a discrete place to try adding fabric. I haven't tried it though.

embroidery digitizing said...

great post and nice outfit.thanks for sharing it.

Nike Warn said...

Thanks for sharing your fashion taste & nice outfit. I want to tell you my business we are offering Lockets, bracelets, cuff, Rings & more jewelry with different designs.

Samala said...

What about add peach lace strips at a) either side of the buttons or b)where the vertical bust darts sit(which actually run the whole way down the front of the bodice already)? Anyway, excuse the lingo, I'm obviously not a professional sewer!

Unknown said...

For me this style (with a t-shirt behind), it looks more vintage! However, I'd suggest to make a skirt from that dress and combine with some similar top. I've seen a lot of similar skirts where I buy them myself buy dressy skirts wholesale - I think they look wonderful and this dress would probably be better if cut :)

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Cat Marquis : thanks; even tough I actually fixed the dress already! But pretty much in the way you described, although I did not separate the skirt first, because buttons and gathered skirt and so on. (I did some other stuff to it too, because I noticed some more dilemmas as well :) And I did use an old sheet for the extra fabric!