Thursday 11 June 2009

DRESSMAKING

This fabric is going to turn into a tiki style wiggle dress somewhat inspired by the lovely sarong dresses at Vivien of Holloway!


The fabric dates back from (oh, here we go again...) the hippie days when I hanged out on Bali for a while, a long time ago. Just lying in my closet useless for years it has finally found a meaning - I'm getting a dress for free :)

The plan is to premiere the dress next Sunday at the From Helsini to Honolulu via Hysteria Burlesque party onboard Wäiski! As previously mentioned we and a lot of other gals will be performing there and I'm sure it will be a hell of a night! (I've heard there are still some tickets left so hurry up and get yourself one if you're around town!)

(it didn't start out so well though - I always cut all dresses freehand and this time I cut it slightly too small for myself; it's not always easy with a totally non-stretch fabric... Then one of my cats threw up on what was left of the fabric. But in spite of these minor misfortunes I think it will turn out pretty fine anyway!)

27 comments:

Casey said...

Wow--what gorgeous fabric! I can't wait to see the finished dress! :)

Elina said...

Oh, can't wait to see the finished result!

Parapluie said...

Aw, I can't wait to see it!

AlicePleasance said...

Great fabric, I'm sure the dress will turn out perfect :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm very curious for the result! I wish I could make dresses myself :)

Sherin said...

The fabric is gorgeous. I really can't wait to see what the finished product looks like.

Anonymous said...

Wow, such setbacks! When you finish the dress, despite all that adversity, it's bound to be your pride and joy.

Anonymous said...

Good luck =)

Cheryl Lynn Pastor Romance Author said...

I just know that your dress is going to come out beautifully. Wow, you cut your dresses freehand?! That is amazing. I do that with my handbags, but I don't know if I'd have the steady hand or know-how to do that with clothing.

You Rock!

Irina said...

I can't wait to see the dress and i'm shoure it will look very nice . And look at the best part : non-strech fabrics are easier to sew :P ( at least in my case and with my old sewing machine ). So good luck!

esme and the laneway said...

Oh, lovely! I can't wait tio see the finished result, I love those sarong dresses on VOH. The show sounds great, too!

Jen said...

Sounds like something my cat would do too! Hope the dress works out in the end--it's a gorgeous colour!

Jen said...

Sounds like something my cat would do too! Hope the dress works out in the end--it's a gorgeous colour!

Jen said...

Sounds like something my cat would do too! Hope the dress works out in the end--it's a gorgeous colour!

Jen said...

omg..sorry for the triple post. I fail at the internets. :(

Bucca said...

love this fabric - make sure you post the results!

mizzeboni said...

i wish i could make clothes too.. as much I shop i could definately save some money!!

check me out-- love the fashion world http://www.livinthefablife.blogspot.com

Miss Sewing said...

Nice fabric!!
I love the colours, and the cutting of Sarong dress is perfect!!!

Anonymous said...

It is a beautiful colour and design

Kati said...

I'm so excited how the dress will turn out!

Kajsa said...

Jag hade en klänning som jag sytt av ett likadant tyg, exakt likadant förutom färgen, mitt var rosa. Fick det av en kompis som var på Bali för kanske 10 år sedan :)
Minns att jag fick ett brunt också och jag stör mig på att det har försvunnit.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that is going to look beautiful! I can't wait to see the result!

calangute beach said...

lovely fabric

3canvasart.com said...

Hi
Nice post
Thanks for sharing
Photo to Canvas | Canvas Art Gallery | Canvas Artwork

Anonymous said...

nice sarong.. anyway it's from my country, Bali in Indonesia.. You can find another lovely sarong here :)

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Tya : I know, I bought it in Bali when I was there in 2002! Bali is wonderful I think :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Another wonderful sarong is in yogyakarta, in Indonesia too.. Next time when you come here, u should go there :)

Well..may I link your blog in my page? :)