Wednesday 11 April 2012

I'VE LOADED MY LAST SHIP SO FAR

When I started in the harbour we younger ones had this thing of saying "if I'm still here when I'm thirty..." and then adding some thing sad after that as it just seemed so unlikely. Ha ha! But when I was in my early twenties I really would not have thought I'd stay there for so long.


Neither would I have thought I'd be there working in the third trimester of my pregnancy... Really, not! 
I always kind of thought I'd get off at four months already, one way or another. But it wasn't that easy to get things organized in the end.
Today however I had yet another meeting with the company's physician and am now on sick leave until my maternity leave starts later in spring!

Believe me, it will be so nice with some time off to be able to take it easy before the baby comes.

But it will also feel weird - although I've had other jobs and been away abroad in between I've still been in the habour since I was nineteen! I'll miss it. Every now and then.


My work wear the last months... someone else's big old pants plus suspenders to keep them up as I was not able to close them. One of my colleagues thought I looked so funny he brought me a clown nose :)

 I'm forever nineteen years old on my ID card.

10 comments:

Malayka said...

Congratulations on finishing work! Wow I couldn't imagine still doing the same job as when I was 19... which would mean that I would be working in a cafe at the foodcourt of a shopping mall. But to be honest I think it's your crazy double life that drew me to your blog in the first place (quite a few years ago now). Ha ha it's so Flashdance! Steel worker by day, dancer by night! I'm sure you're shaking your head at this comparison ;)

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Dashfield Vintage : Haha, but yes, it's the rougher version of flashdance, that's what we say :D
And yes it's been sooo many years. But the past four I've been boss so it's not all been same shit different day for eleven and a half years though...

GinCherry said...

I remember when I firs time stumbled on your blog the fact that you work in the harbour surprised me so much :) A beautiful burlesque dancer in the rough place :) I think it's one of the things why you're so unique :)

ina said...

I was drunk on my old ID-card, so mature :D
That's actually exactly 10 years ago... And in the end of the summer it will be exactly 5 years since I quit my harbour job. And so far it's been my favourite work place (thanks to the collegues and the atmosphere, not maybe the job itself!).

Frollein von Sofa said...

what a perfect post ! your blog is the best I have ever read...

Christina said...

These goodbyes are always sadder than you'd imagine...
I guess 19 or 20 year olds can never imagine that something in their lifes won't change while they grow up and that not changing might be a good thing, too. ;)
Love this post and the pictures!

Eve said...

Tämä ei liity mitenkään tämän postauksen aiheeseen, mutta kun sulla on noita VoH:n mekkoja, joissa on luut, niin miten tiukkoja niiden kuuluu olla? Mulla on sellainen, jossa ne luut suunnilleen porautuu ihoon (:D), mutta luo samalla kivan ampiaisvyötärön, ja sitten yhtä kokoa isompi, joka ei tunnu niin tiukalta, mutta ei myöskään näytä yhtä hyvältä. Mietin, kun sun päälläsi ne näyttää nimenomaan luovan kauniit kurvit, mutta pitääkö sitten vaan kärsiä kauneuden takia? ;) Voi kyllä olla, että olen just siitä kokojen välistä.

Pia said...

Ulrika, jag älskade det här inlägget och jag tycker det är fascinerande och intressant speciellt med tanke på frågor om kvinnlighet /burlesk och sådant där. Har själv jobbat som posteljon och hur jag än hatade det ibland så var det också svårt att fara därifrån. Att vad man än jobbar med, fäster man sig vid människor, minnen, rutiner etc. och det är ju det som gör livet värt att leva ;). Huippu. Och vad skönt att du får vila och laga i ordning innnan bebisen kommer :) :)

Ylva said...

I really love this post and you´re so unique! It´s so inspiring that you work in the harbour and as a burlesquedancer. As one said "a
A beautiful burlesque dancer in the rough place" And yes you´re Flashdance indeed. And remember that if feels a little bit sad now the harbour and collegues will still be there. I work in a cementeray in Sweden for 5 years and in fact I miss the job now and than.
Try to rest and take it easy before the kiddo joins the rest of us. Keep up the good work dear Ulrika. Vi ses!

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Eve: anteeksi, mun piti koko ajan vastata tähän ja tajusin just etten olltukaan ja jouduin nyt etsimään tän kommentin postauksien joukosta... Mun VoH mekot ovat suht koth tiukat, mutta ei kuitenkaan niin että ne ois epämukavat. Eli ei tartte vetää henkeä ku laittaa vetskarin kiinni, kunhan pikkasen suoristaa selkänsä vaan :) Luulen, että fiksuinta sun ois kaventaa se isompi mekko, esim ottamalla sitä pikkasen sisään vetskarin kohdalla? (tai viemällä se jonnekki jossa joku pro tekis sen, ettei vaan menis pilalle).