Thursday 12 April 2012

STRIPES, MOOMIN AND THE SIXTIES


I've been wearing a lot of sixties styled dresses lately. That's because they are cut in a way to fit my belly. 

I don't have an urge to absolutely have to dress according to a decade from the past, and now that a fifties waist is out of the question it's not like I have to jump on to the next vintage period available. No, of course not. (My sister said, when I in the beginning of pregnancy said there seemed to be quite little interesting maternity wear out there, "maybe now you can dress like normal people for a while". Hehe.) So, I don't feel obliged to dress in a certain way; that would be ridiculous. But I like to play around with different styles and be inspired by the aesthetics of those times I find inspiring. And now with the belly it's been a lot of the sixties!


This dress however is new. From Marimekko. It's meant to be worn all buttoned up, but that's way too hipster for me. It makes me feel a bit like a Moomin character! Which is a fun change. Who wouldn't want to be one, at least every once in a while?


It's also funny how normal I can look from the back and front, but enormous from the side!
Btw apparently most of my extra kilos (which are something closer to 15 right now. Quite much, even though I haven't been eating any more than usual at all, and I eat rather healthy by default. So the kilos don't bother me, due to that.) have gone to my legs! I noticed that some time ago in the mirror... Hope I can make them go away from there later then too...


But anyway, back to the look: I like to do over stylized sixties inspired make up and hair styles, although they have only been for special occasions, like shooting or parties. The same goes for today; the reason for my look was not just playing around; we shot a promo video for our jazz project that will happen next winter. (You may remember the one that we took promo shots from earlier this year.)


The beehive is done by rolling a big wig (that happens to be just the same as my own colour) into a bun on the top of my head, securing it with a hairnet and pins. You've heard the same story before. The same can be done with clip-on extensions, or if your hair si long enough, by back combing your own hair and using tulle, extensions or bump-its and a rat to fill it up. I say go for the extra hair though.


By making this a bit more subtle it would make a nice every day look - using a slightly smaller piece of hair for a less huge bun, going a little easier on the make up; the lines a little thinner, the black a little less strong. (For the look, in addition to eye liner, draw a line above the socket of your eye and one line under your lower lashes. And a whole lot more, but that's the basic.) I'm on the look-out for a nice attachable ponytail that could be used for smaller versions of up do's like this, but it's hard to get the right shade and know about the quality of the locks when shopping online.

If interested, my dress (or, tunic)  is this season's Marimekko, kitten heels from a local shoe store and both eye shadow and lipstick from Lime Crime (called "Troubadour" and "Great pink planet").

28 comments:

Kit said...

I really like this look and think it's amazing how you don't look pregnant front on and then boom! there's the bump. I love moomins too! :-)

Emma Litton said...

You look sooo adorable! I love the make up and the hair, it just looks great. I've said it before, but I really hope I look half as cute as you when I'm pregnant.

xo,
Em

Miss Maple said...

I love your make up and your hair style. I've always loved bee hives. They're simply marvellous.

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

You look divine. Are you growing out your bangs, already? You had bangs cut, recently, yes? Or am I going mad?

Roxy said...

On top of looking very glamorous you also look very comfortable, which is awesome.

Macska said...

Oooh, 1960s! That looks fabulous! I've been playing around with 1970's looks to cover my growing bump, I think I'll have to go hunt out some 1960's now as well. :-)

Andi B. Goode said...

Your hair and make up look absolutely AMAZING. Gorgeous.
-Andi x

Anonymous said...

Täydellinen look! ! Kiitos ehostevinkeistäsi. Pitää käydä tutustumassa tuon Lime Crimen sivuille.

Anonymous said...

Kun tilaat tuotteita tuolta Lime Crimesta, kuinka paljon maksat toimituskuluja?

Henna X. said...

You look fabulous! :)

Eve M. said...

Wow, I love you "new style"! :)

www.janetteria.com said...

How cute! Definitely love the whole look, especially your hair! :)

Keep your lovely style, darling Ulrika!

Dolly Cool Clare said...

You really suit the 60s vibe as well! I like to dress both 50s and 60s, who says you should stick to one era eh?! And you wear being heavily pregnant with style - slobby tracksuit wearers take note! :)

Ylva said...

Jag älskar din håruppsättning och hela stilen. Du ser fantastisk ut.

Lauren said...

You do indeed look amazing- the green eye is really highlights itself with the black and white stripes. The cut of the dress is super flatttering. When I got pregnant I was excited to wear lots of 60s modish empire waisted dresses, but only just found one. Hope you feel alright in the next few weeks and all the best for a sweet, tiny bundle of joy!

P.S. This is a bit of s superficial question, but what eyeliner do you use? It looks sharp and strong. I realise that's probably because you apply it right, but also the actual quality of the product. Just wondering.

Anonymous said...

What a doll you are!!! LOVE this look and will be copying promptly. Your blog is fab and so are you. Go Momma!

Rachel

Johanna said...

I'm pregnant too (really early) and I just have to write and tell you how completely gorgeous I think you look. I hope I look as good when I gain a good 15 kilos (which I will :)

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Miss Tallulah Porkchop: you are going mad :) I've been growing them out for a long time!

Anpnyymi : se on yleensä ollut noin 10 dollaria

Lauren : I use the Exagerate liner by Rimmel!

Morgane said...

Got to try that hairdo tonight!

Kaisa said...

Oi miten kaunis olet!Harva oikeasti hehkuu odotusaikana mutta sinua odotus todella pukee.

MIA FRIDA said...

Wohaaaa, gorgeous and defintely my top maternity outfit so far, braavooo!

Not to mention you look like my mother during her pregancy ;)

Maja said...

I love you in the '60s;) I think it is amazing how well you carry your tummy!

tanïa said...

This is marvellous! No need to be Twiggy-like thin to look gorgeous in 60s dresses! Love that decade's style anyway, so I'm in love with this one!! ♥

Wanderlust and Itchy Feet said...

Awww your bump is HUGE! I love it, you look so cute

Unknown said...

I love, love this look on you! You pull it off, one million percent. Enjoy this time to yourself... rest up! xxx, j

Sydney B. said...

This looks amazing on you! You are a lovely, glowing pregnant lady!

~Syd

Anu said...

Ooh, I'm loving sixties and Twiggy and you look just like her in this post. And the dress is amazing in a simply way. I've been reading your blog for a long time but I think it's first time I'm commenting. I want to wish you all the best and good luck with parenting days :)

(Retro) Sonja said...

This is such a cool look! I love that tunic!