Thursday 30 July 2015

HELSINKI STROLL



Yesterday we went into town for a stroll together with Dag's oldest (half)brother . Which does not happen that often, having a day off and haning it in town, when you spend most of your time way out in the countryside.

Walking in Ruoholahti, which is something I almost never do; walk around in, other than walk just trough. I used to come trough here almost every day when at lunch from the harbour.

Some hundred meters further a whole new part of town has sprung up during Dag's lifetime on parts of what was once the old harbour. It looks different every time I pass. When I left work before Dag was born this was all just one big construction site. (And half of it still is.)

Do you know how many times I stared at those shipyard cranes and the blue dry dock wall opposite of our spot in the harbour? Do you know how many times? Of course you don't, but many, many times I tell you.

 We popped by the flea market. Dag got a red smiling tractor.


Had lunch at Moko market. Salad with kale and marinated carrots and fresh pea puree. Nom.

 Moko is also an interior store, with lots of wonderful useful-and-less usefull stuff, books and some foods as well.


 Moko has a playground space for kids too. Convenient.

I used to go there and shop all the time before, you know, when I had a job with a steady monthly wage and could do shopping just for fun. When you work solely by yourself things are so much more uneven. (I might have to get myself some pineapple and palm tree boxes though. Because they are always good for somehting...)

But I wasn't really there to get anything for myself but to pick up some things for our studio. Which I will get back to later. (And get back to a lot to; you'll see.)

 Later we did some toy shopping -there are a many small misters all turning one year old in August.

Sometimes I wonder how these small stores that are specialized in something can pull trough when rents in town are what they are - I remember thinking so about this toystore too when walking past it before, do people really buy enough to make it go around? But now I get it, in this case at least, I just wanted to buy everything in there.

Then we went to join up with some 15,000 other people at the Citizen's Square. 

The rather impromptu manifestation for multiculturalism and anti-racism; We Have A Dream, took place. It was organised in just a couple of days as a counter-reactions to some writings of a politician and the discussion it sparked.

Then the teenager got tired.

So we had burgers at the new-in-town hipster burger place Friends & Brgrs. (Everything there is made from scratch and with clean ingredients. The queue in the restaurant is thus thereafter. Here's my veggieburger. Approved!)

And strawberry milkshake. Made on actual real berries, not just aromes.

More days should end with strawberry milkshakes.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello from Germany,
thank you for this post!
We just booked our one-week-vacation for Tampere. Of course we will go to Helsinki, too.
So your post is a great inspiration, just like your whole blog is.
I look forward so much to our stay in Finland (even though it will be so short).
Greetings, Annemarie

kfrogpath said...

Absolutely agree with your last point! <3

Sarah Jane said...

I like the look of Moko and Dag looks so well behaved x

Lavender and Twill said...

SO many cute things, Dag's hat and those boxes are at the top! :) ❤

xox,
bonita of Lavender & Twill

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Annemarie: Hope you have a great trip :) When in Helsinki if you want to do some vintage shopping go to Hoochie Mama Jane and Ansa, they are just aournd the corner of eaach other in the Kallio district. For bars in the evening go to Steam Helsinki and Navy Jerrys in Kamppi, and I personally love Bar Moskva on Eerikinkatu :)

ayza said...

good effort
For Latest Fashion updates , Clothing style , hair styles and makeup tips please keep visit this site www.tremendousstyle.com