Monday 4 August 2008

HAIRDO'S #2 - Pincurl it Baby!

Oh well my darlings, I know you don't really come here just for nice pics from the archipelago... So I give you this - another retro inspired hairdo tutorial:



This hairdo is easy, when you're used to twirl/pincurl your hair you can do it within five minutes. I'm not that specific with how I place my rolls, so I get it done fast, If I pay more attention to how i roll my hair it will of course take longer time.

This time I've rolled it into four rolls. I've pulled my fringe back to the side with a comb, this do works as well with or without finrge.

This hairdo is great for a bad hair day when your hair is
a) too clean; fly and won't stay in place. Then I roll it up in about six rolls. Done like this in the morning and opened in the evening it gives a beautiful wavy hair.
or
b) dirty (like mine is now in these pics, sorry for that :)

1) First, take a section of your hair and picurl it, by rolling it around your finger and start rolling it towards the roots. Roll it quite tight since it will loose itself up a bit anyway when you fasten it. For a closer look, check out Super Kawaii Mama for example. She shows how she rolls her hair in the front in a quite easy-to-see video-tutorial.



2) The roll should look should look like this when you're halfways.



3) When you've rolled the hairsling all the way to your head, you twist the roll inwards and fasten it with bobbypins inside the roll. It took me some time to find the best way to fasten the roll so that the pin doesn't show too much and so the roll stays in place - I stick one down and one to the side in the middle of the curl. I usually have to stick about three pins into each roll. This is a bit tricky in the beginning but you'll get there!



4) Then, take another section of your hair and to the same with it.



5) ..and with the same of the rest of your hair. Stick in some extra pins wherever the hair feels too lose and if you have some loose slings of hair, tuck them in between and under the rolls.



Since I didn't pay that much attention to how I placed my rolls and since my hair was dirty I got myself a "bold spot" on one side. But no worries, I fix it by sticking a comb with flowers on it there. Otherwise I would've just rolled one of the curls again...



This really is very easy and turns out rather nice!



You can also make this if yo have short hair, mine is actually close to being too long. It should work with hair even a bit shorter than shoulder-lenght, but then you'll need to roll it into about six rolls I'd guess, since fewer rolls need longer hair to stay togehter.

Oh and you can always send me some pics if you make any of my do's you know :)

(And not to forget - I know some of you have asked me for a make-up tutorial too and I promise I will make one soon ok! But don't be dissapointed then - my daily makeup is really not anything of the extrordinary; eyeliner, lipstick and mascara...)

34 comments:

Emma said...

thank you! I adapted your last tutorial for my short hair and it's been great. I've worn my hair like it every day since! can't wait to give this one a shot.

Candice DeVille said...

Oh fun! I'll be giving this one a go for sure. It looks so complicated and amazing that perhaps when people ask about it, I can pretend I'm a lady of leisure that has her hair done every other day. :)
And thank you for the mention my friend.

WJ said...

Holy moly, that looks stunning and I can't believe it only takes you five minutes! I wish I had such nimble fingers but I've never had any luck putting my hair up. My hair is worn out all day, every day. I wish I could do interesting pin-up do's as well as you!

Elsa said...

En jaksa kirjoittaa nyt englanniksi, sorry! a) ihana tukka taas kerran b) ootko sä blogilistalla?

Dropstitch said...

Looks beautiful! I'm going to give it a go tonight :)

Anonymous said...

How fantastic! Thank-you! :)

Pratishtha Durga said...

OMG! This hairdo looks stunning. You look like such a classic beauty... I will try this at home, though i am not too sure about succeeding. I have never really tried hairstyles, but will surely give this one a shot. For the simple reason that it's just too pretty to pass.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I wish I had longer hair to try this.

Anonymous said...

Random question: Do you think you could show us how you do your make-up..? You always look so flawless! Just an idea :)

AlicePleasance said...

Thank you for another great tutorial and just in time for the Jamboree! ...I should start to figure out how to comb my hair asap!!!

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Emma : glad to hear my tutorial was of help to you! I'm sure you'll rock this one too!

SuperKawaiiMama : You're welcome :)

WJ : once you get started it's very easy

elsa : a) kiitos :)
b) joo olen:
http://www.blogilista.fi/blogi/the-freelancer-s-fashionblog/22563

Dropstich : thanks! Good luck with makin the hairdo!

Miss-Corinne : you're welcome :)

Pratishtha : thanks. There was a time when I didn't really fix my hair that much, but now that I've strated doing it again I'm very eager to try out different styles. So you should really give it a go :)

Nadine : I'm thinking of making some tutorial that should work for really short hair too...

Ivy : yes I'll do one, just need to figure out what kind of pictures to take etc...

Alicepleasance : I'm going to post another one before the jamboree that you might also like :)

esme and the laneway said...

It looks great! I wore my hair all pinned up with flowers for a week the week before last, and I loved it. This week I will have to wear my bike helmet everyday, so no hair pinning for me :)

WendyB said...

That's amazing!

Anonymous said...

Bee-yoo-tee-ful. If I hadn't just lopped off my locks, I'd be trying out this tutorial.

Sam said...

I wish I also had long your like you do. But I'm stuck with my short hair. Don't know if I can make this work with my short locks. Maybe I should give it a try. And ever since I was here for the first time, this became my favorite blog. I really love how you dress and all.

Unknown said...

Still look complicated... maybe because I have asian hair which refuses to bend/curl/wave/etc. :-(

Audrey Leighton said...

Hey,

I absolutely love your blog. Your style of writing and use of creativity makes your blog a must-read for me! I especially like the personal touches you had to your posts.

My name is Audrey Leighton Rogers, I am style editor for the Durham University newspaper and was wondering if you could take a look at my blog-
frassy-audrey.blogspot.com and let me know what you think?

It would be great if we could exchange links and could feature each other on our blogs? I am looking to improve my readership and I’m sure you wouldn’t mind an increase in readers either!

Anyway keep up the amazing work, and get back to me when you can!

Thanks,

Audrey Leighton Rogers

Amber said...

Thank you again for the hair tutorial! I much more nervous to attempt this one but will try none the less. Thank you for keeping the retro inspired hair-dos coming

Anonymous said...

Bravooo!! Que bella te Felicito, eres muy bonita y tienes un arte !!!Bellisssiima!!!
Saludos desde Venezuela

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Stunning! Your hair is a masterpiece.

Dotti said...

You're such a cupcake.

Eveliina said...

Wautzi mikä letti!

Hieno blogi sulla. Nyt vasta sain tästä vihiä.

What we four say said...

nicely done. You look beautiful! I'll take pics of the fringe bag soon! ;)

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Esme and the Lane Way : I bet your hair was really pretty :)

WendyB: Thank you

Sal : Yes you did cut them but I think it looks nice short on you too! :)

Sam : Thank you!

Turquoisepassion : It looks more complicated than it is. Maybe if you try fixing your hair while it's a bit damp it could stay in palce more easy?

Audrey : thanks:) I'll get back to you!

Amber : you're welcome :)

Anonymous : gracias

The Clothes Horse : oh thanks

Dotti : a cherry cupcake!

Eve : heips! kiitti - muistin että olisin joskus laittanu sulle linkin mutta ilmeisesti näin ei ollut...

Pretty pirate : thanks!

Anonymous said...

oh, you are such a sweetheart. thank's for the inspiration!

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Vintage Darling : Likewise, likewise!

Jo said...

amazing!!!!!!

B-b-b-etty said...

thank you. i've been meaning to try something like this out for a long time now but i always end up not.

Anonymous said...

IhQ. Mutt ehkä kantsis kohta värjätä juuret. Just saying :)

Anonymous said...

you make it look so simple!! looks awesome

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Ami : heh, I know. Mul on aika varattu huomiseks :)

Anonymous said...

Denna beskrivning var väldigt bra och utförlig. Jag tror nog att jag kommer att fixa det...För testa ska jag! Tack ska du ha. Det är alltid roligt med lite nya frisyrtips eftersom jag inte vågar klippa det så får man ju nämligen förnya sig på det sättet (frisyrer) :)

ShopDownLite.com said...

You have the best hair! It's an artform.

Bunny B said...

Gorgeous! Who takes your pictures? I'm so jealous! :P I just found your blog today from Super Kawaii Mama and I love your hair tutorials! I hope you have a makeup tutorial up! :) Would love to see that. Off to read your other posts! :))