Friday 4 November 2011

THE BREAKFAST

Even though I in general eat rather healthy I sometimes get this urge to go all pure and clean and super when it comes to food. Mostly it's back to it's normal self after a while, with some sad wrinkly dried goji berries in the back of the fridge. (they just weren't that good). Some time ago I went to pick up something totally different from the bookstore and came home with a bunch of book on raw food and such for myself instead. (Plus one on how to make better use of the kitchen and food and stop throwing things away or leaving them behind. In hope of no more sad forgotten super food berries in the back of the fridge...)

Although I'd love to do more avocado shakes and raw food cakes I wonder how the hell anybody can afford to keep such a diet? I bought breakfast inspired by raw food for a week for a ridiculous amount of money. The fancier kind of dried fruit, nuts and seeds and fresh berries cost a fortune... But it is quite yummy with ecological peanut butter and pear, almonds and fresh blueberreies, dried dates and a coconut smoothie for breakfast every now and then at least.

And In the true spirit of ying and yang, to balance things up, I had a bunch of Domino cookies (oreos) and instant noodles at work instead :)

A vegan coconut smoothie however is not that expensive or peculiar to make; I use some frozen berries, fruit juice and some coconut milk and blend it togheter. It's really good!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, the smoothie sounds amazing! I am like you with my dietary habits - I have a juicer at the back of the cupboard and it mostly sits unused. I am on something of a health kick at the moment too, so it's lots of lentils, homemade soups and roast vegetables. Now I just have to resist the temptation to make these chocolate Nesquik cupcakes I just got a recipe for ; )

Cakes
http://www.cakesandshakes.wordpress.com

Vintage Hippo said...

ooo I really want to try that coconut shake now!

The Retro Natural said...

I love a good smoothie! I use to eat about 70% raw and then slowly I ate less and less, perhaps because I got a little bit bored but more because I couldn't spend as much on the raw foods I prefer to eat..thanks mortgage lol.. but hey we can always get back to it even if for a week, ya know? I haven't had a coconut smoothie in a while, long overdue!

Miss Maple said...

Your breakfast looks rather delicious, but aren't you still hungry after that, I would. It's not really a lot. But I'll try that berry coconut smoothie next time. Have a nice day!

esme and the laneway said...

Yum, looks delicious! Now I have coconut milk on my mind. Yum!

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Cakesandshakes: mmmm cupcakes....

The Retro Natural : yes, every now and then still serves it's purpose!

Miss Maple : Actually ones gets pretty full on that! I usually eat quite a lot. But the coconut smoothie is real filling and so are the nuts and almonds!

Esme : I always have anything coconut on my mind :D

Mrs J said...

Sorry for commenting in Swedish. Just way too tired to think in English... Min favvofrukost är turkisk yoghurt med granatäppelkärnor, lite blåbär och rostade kokoschips. Så gott med granatäpple på!