Friday 17 February 2012

THE BARBIE DOLL





I think of this make up as the early 60's barbie doll make up. With a hell-lot of glitter added. My mother has a couple of Barbies left from around '62 with thick eyeliner (I thought they looked evil) and bright turquoise eyeshadow. The eyeshadow is only on the actual eye lid. Eddi thinks this make up is "umm, pretty strong".

Well. To make it actually strong and more Barbie double the thickness of the eyeliner and paint the eyeshadow above the lid, but still keeping the same shape, like making your lid bigger. And add some liner under the eye too.

My eyeshadow and lipstick is from Limecrime (Troubadour and Centrifuchsia) and the glitter is gel plus polyglitter from Grimas, in case you were wondering. What else? A good foundation (and a good camera lense). The eyelashes are not mine own but false ones. Thick, doll like and cat shaped ones, that are longer in the outer corners will work best. I suggest putting the eyeshadow on with a wet brush for a precise line, if the formula is such that it will work wet. And start off with a primer. Also, paint the eyeliner once before adding the glitter, otherwise it will be hard to get it straigt. You need to fill in  a bit with the liner after applying the glitter again. And the whole shabadang works well without the glitter too and just plain blue of course.

Perhaps something for tonight, if you're heading over to the first night of the Helsinki Burlesque Festival?

27 comments:

Maja said...

wow Wow WOW!

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

OMG, I LOVE it. I need to recreate.

Rachel said...

The turquoise glitter and pink lips look perfect

xxx

Frollein von Sofa said...

perfection. and those earrings suit you so so well !!!!

www.janetteria.com said...

Beautiful make up, Honey! You look so divine!

Roxie Roulette said...

Oh I love it! I love wearing contrasting colours!

Unknown said...

wow that looks amazing!!!!!
doesn´t even look like 60´s!
I love it! Your eyeshape is perfect for this kind of make-up.

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Thanks!
CherryMakeUp: Yes -not like the typical strong mid-and late sixties make up (like: http://freelancersfashion.blogspot.com/2012/01/fridays-are-for-shooting.html or
http://freelancersfashion.blogspot.com/2011/05/sixties-make-up.html); but like the fifties -early 60's blue make up (that the Barbies we have also wear); pretty simple, eyeshadow and liner, a bit like this
http://vintagemakeupguide.com/wp-content/gallery/1950s-makeup-style/1950s-makeup-style-glamourdaze19.jpg :)
But with hair and clothes you can make it look pretty much like whatever era you want I think...

Mrs Munster said...

Awesome make-up. Maybe I should put in on tonight (I might freak out some of my patients as I'm heading to work. LOL)

TheBlackWardrobe said...

Love those eyes!
Glitter is such a difficult look to pull off without A. creating a mess B. without looking like a drag queen. (Lol...)
Gorgeous, Ulrika!


the-black-wardrobe.blogspot.com
www.theblackwardrobe.com

Caitlin said...

It's SO pretty, I love it!!!!

Isabelle Gloria said...

YOU are the real Barbie, the pretty one! WOW, I love it!

Miss Amethyst said...

flawless love it!! i always wanted to try out that look!!!! thanks!!!

Kit said...

This looks so cool! Don't know if I'd be brave enough to try. Love your earings too!

www.what-a-peach.blogspot.com

vio said...

this make-up is simply beautiful!

// take a look: *MICROPHONEHEART.

Sara C. said...

this make up is fantastic: i am going to copy straightaway!
Have a nice weekend

Sara C.

Natalia L. said...

Such glamorous and beautiful eyes!!
I wish I could do something like that, but I always have such a hard time when I try, hahaha!

Girls that glitter love the dark
xoxo

Mira said...

D-licious! <3

Dial V for Vintage said...

I think you are far prettier than any Barbie! I admit I am a fan of glitter, your make up is divine!

Samul Swan said...

Hi
your blogs are very nice.It helps for my work.thanks for sharing this.
Vintage Omega Watches

Zoƫ Winters said...

You look wonderful as ever! I love the dash of glittering green! :) x

Purrfect Kat said...

you're so prettyyy I wanna do the same!!!!
http://purrfectkat.blogspot.com/

Miss Maple said...

I love your make up: the glittery turquoise eyeshadow and the pink lipstick. I also like that the colours are repeated in your earrings. Are they vintage?

Anonymous said...

You're blog is awesome!

Andi B. Goode said...

Gorgeous! Definitely very Barbie circa 1959/60 :)
-Andi x

Frollein von Sofa said...

hey ulrika ! would it be okay for your if I used picture n*2 of this post for showing my earrings on facebook and my blog ? thanks in advance, anne

Unknown said...

Absolutely stunning! I found your blog by accident, but I can see that I'll be back. A lot!