Wednesday 6 March 2013

WEIRD AND PRETTY; PRETTY WEIRD


I am a sucker for fancy books with fine pictures. It's not only one or twice I by accident pop by the big bookstore and arrive home with a bag heavy of art deco, vintage ads or fashion history.

My latest add of picture books is one with strange, funny and scary photomontage postcards form the early 1900's. Surrealism before the actual term!

A few of these -or, similar- were familiar from the wonderful world of the internet already but most were such I haven't seen before. Some are quite cute and pretty but some are just so weird it's awsome.


I mean who wouldn't be super happy to receive a card with a terrified baby being lifted by balloons on? There's also one with a frightened kid and a super scary doll in a corner.


Or this man coming to -or still strong in- faith while about to drown in the ocean?


No? What a about this one here then? Two lovely girls and a puppy. It says 'Today a rose, tomorrow...' Pretty sad actually.



These baby kale heads might give some laughs though. Or the mixture of fish and obnoxious child.
Not that it actually is that weird sending weird stuff (cards) to each other. The same we send each other nowadays too, posting weird stuff on Facebook. Or, I don't know about you, but that's what I do at least :)


Here are some cat ladies.


And spider men.


A dude in an egg.

Plus a little pop art before pop art! Sort of.

I like these collages of stamps, photos and pieces of fabric. Looks like something out of Etsy, heh.

The book is in Finnish; "Ihme ja Kumma".

7 comments:

Helena said...

Oh my god, that is so great! I have to get my hands on that. Thanks for posting the pictures!

bloggerkk said...

I like this stunning Fashion
Fashion Design And Beauty

Frollein von Sofa said...

oh my, what an amazing book....do you know if there is an english version of it ? I tried to google it, but couldn't find anything.....

Virtual office in Singapore said...

Wow superb album. There have unbelievable pictures. I also need this book. Can you send me the link?

Esteri said...

Nice! The priest in the sea is very Pierre and Gilles.

Anonymous said...


This book is by a Finnish author and not available in English...

http://www.wsoy.fi/kirjat/-/product/no/9789510388082

Love the book! THank you for introducing it to us. Have to get a copy as well...

little said...

this book is gorgg!!

romantically challenged