Friday 25 June 2010

BLADI BLA-BLA

"The sun get's up at 03:55 and sets at 22:50. The day is 18 hours and 55 minutes."
( Helsinki forecast 25.6.2010 / Finnish Institute of Meteorology)

(Bedroom, still in progress.)

I've been away for a while, well, kind of; had a busy week behind me; working the early shift, having a record sleeve shot, living around boxes, running around picking up ordered house-stuff here and there. And I also smashed our work-van in an accident in the harbor. Chaotic. I am a very right here, right now person when it comes to some things, like home. I hate not to get the shelves up right away I cannot stand it when parts to whatever are missing. The wireless internet is not working fo some reason. It drives me crazy. Bazookas. But, things are starting to find their place now and I calm down.

Today it's midsummer and most people have fled town, heading out for the countryside to celebrate the light (and get totally drunk) like the tradition is. I'm staying in town alone however as I'll be working all holiday long. A lot of people get devastated when they here someone will have to work during midsummer as most places are closed, but - the harbor never closes. Its not that bad; I've worked many midsummers before. I'll just take it easy with some white at home and try to get rid of all the boxes, boxes, boxes tonight.

It's so light up here at this time of year; the nights around midsummer are pretty magic. It never gets darker than a pale shade of lavender, and that does not last for more than a few hours.

I've been getting up at five the sun is already shining brightly then. It feels as amazing each year, every morning - I always tend to forget that this is what it's like (and get as chocked every winter at how dark and cold it actually is…)

I remember those summer nights years back that were all spent out on town - eyes almost hurting when coming out of the nightclub into the bright late night, early morning. It always felt as strange. Sometimes I went straight to the morning shift from the bars, blinking my make up heavy lids to the strong morning sun at four thirty. (I could never pull that off nowadays). I've spent some June nights higher up in the country at festivals and such - the sun doesn't set there at all (as compensation to the almost total darkness that hangs over for the winter-half of the year.

This year however it's cloudy and raining so there will be no nice late evening sun to enjoy. I don't really mind, I keep the balcony door open and listen to the rain outside. I like it.

(But you know what I hate? It's getting darker now (since Monday), a few minutes per day. One won't really notice that until August or so though. But still. Depressing isn't it?)

21 comments:

WendyB said...

I was in Norway and Sweden once in the summer...I loved the long days!

Dave Feucht said...

All the more reason to take a nice glass of wine, sit by the window for a few minutes, and enjoy every little bit of sun hitting your face.

My wife is very much the same, and every time we've moved, it becomes a week of very late nights, because she has that incredible urge to make everything put away and finished and settled as soon as possible :)

It's a good thing, but I have to confess to being more the type of person who would rather sleep and continue working in the morning, no matter how disorganized things still are :)

Best wishes getting everything finished!

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Wendy : Yes it's great. You need less sleep. (although you can stil get very very tired too :)

Dave : My Eddi is just the same, he is not in as big a hurry as I am :D

Dave Feucht said...

Biggest apologies from our gender to yours :) And thanks as well, for making the spaces we live in beautiful - even if it does require us staying up late sometimes :)

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Dave, then I'll have to thank your gender for me being able to avoid the dirty work; installing electrical stuff and make the holes in the walls and such :D

Dave Feucht said...

:D you're welcome, even if sometimes the holes in the walls end up slightly larger than they should be :)

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

:D

Aisling said...

I also love the light nights. I was out watering my new plants past 11 last night and it was considerably bright and warm. So nice.

I love the bedroom wallpaper BTW.

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Thank you Aisiling. It's a rather well known (over here) fifites design. WHne you see just a bit of it it's really ugly, but alas - great on the wall!

Mrs Munster said...

Finnish summer is something that I miss so much living in UK. Midsummer in town or countryside - either would do just as long as I could be there :)

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Mrs Munster; maybe one year you'll grab the family along and celebrate it here!

Retro Model Sari said...

I´m totally off topic but... I LOVE YOUR WALLPAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Retro Mode Sari : I know, I love it too :) More, better pictures to come as soon as I get the room organized.

Ilona said...

Onpa kaunis värimaailma teidän makuuhuoneessa!

Näin juhannuksen kunniaksi kommentoin ihan vain suomeksi, ja toivotan kaunista ja onnellista juhannusta töistä ja sateesta huolimatta :)

Gina Americana said...

First of all, Glad Midsommar! This is my first summer full-time in Sweden and yes, I've also notice the days getting a little bit shorter already.

I'm a Southern girl raised in the warm sunshine. I don't know how I'll cope during the opposite side of the year! Nevertheless, it's good to hear a native with the same laments.

Celebrate the light!

Fiona Timantti said...

Hei, mä oon kans töissä! :) Oltiin mökillä ti-pe, niinku etujuhannus tai jotain. Nyt töihin...
p.s.Ihana tapetti!

muralimanohar said...

I've always wanted to move to Alaska someday, just for a while, just so I could experience those kinds of endless days and endless nights. Don't know how I am going to convince dh to it, though. :p

Anja said...

Oh wow. This wallpaper is gorgeous!
I want moremoremore pics of your new appartement.

Sanni said...

That wallpaper is so sweet, and your Smeg is too! Talking about northern summer nights, I think they are invented by devil..I can`t sleep proberly because sun is shining also all nights long. On the other hand, those warm, dark and velvety August nights are nice and exciting...

Diva said...

Just celebrated midsummer here in Sweden too. Helping a friend out by the sea on a camping site. People too much drank as usual... Luckily enough I stay in a house a bit away from the campers ...

pumps & luiers said...

I was feeling the exact same - every day just gets that little bit shorter - sad