Tuesday 1 June 2010

FLAT-TO-BE, phase 1.

Or, what I've been up to lately.


Here are some pictures I took just before we started the renovation, which have now been going on for two weeks. I feel I've done nothing but renovate lately.
I hate renovations.
But I love the result.
I aimed to do as little as possible and hire as many professionals as possible, but still, in some strange ways, we see ourselves doing a lot of work all the time. Well, I guess that's the way it goes.

The flat we are moving to is my grandparent's. They moved out this winter when the whole building was having the plumming changed, into a more suitable building for those 90+. (With like, well, you know, elevators and such. Ovens that are not electrically damaged and dangerous and so on).

I spent a lot of time in this flat as a kid, and grew up just behind the corner myself. So its kind fo like going back to my roots then I guess :) Which is not a long way, only across town; barely 10 km from where I am now. But since it's at the other side of the highway bridge into -or, out of- town, making it another city, it is considered far away.
And sometimes feels like that too.
Sometimes just like home.

It looks so different now already!

We'd love to have kept the old stove, but like said; it has become kind of life threatening.

There was a lot of my granparents' stuff around. And still is, only hid in the closets for now. Tons, really, tons of books.

There hasn't really happened much in the past 40 years since they moved there - or 50 since it was built either, so there's quite a lot to do. Like taking out ugly carpets. Which I'm not doing in this picture though. I'm just pretending.

But I did break a lot of stuff! Stuff that had to be broken to get out. I felt very strong afterwards. Me and my crowbar were like this: X

The view is nice -

-you can catch a glimpse of sea from behind the trees.

More phases coming up.

18 comments:

B-b-b-etty said...

ser fram emot att se när det är klart. och åååååhhh säger jag om utsikten! önskar att jag också hade en balkong,och en finare utsikt

mlle.A said...

Oh it's really cool to follow evolution of your renovation! The view from the window is beautiful, it looks so peaceful!

Andi said...

The view is gorgeous! Good luck with your renovations.

NARDIVILE said...

Cant wait to see the finished results.
I started painting my house summer 08 and i still have masking tap on my walls...i get bored top easy lol.
Your view is beautiful.
Rx

ina said...

På vintern kommer ni ju faktiskt att SE havet...

Revital said...

this looks like such a great house with some amazing potential! and the view- wow! simply amazing!

Mrs Munster said...

I'm also in the midst of renovating out house. Nothing major, new floors and paint. I've slowly started to hate painting, such a lot of work! But the result is always nice to look at and I love buying new stuff for those finishing touches! Looking forward to seeing how your renovation project goes.

Eve M. said...

Oh, what a lovely history your new home has! We should be renovating our new home too, but some unpleasant surprises move that part to the future... I cannot wait to see yours getting ready! And ours too after some time... :)

stephanie said...

you look good and dolly even when you're working! are you for real? ;)

Lili said...

Hum...
Eu quero uma casa assim...
I Love the view!

Kisses from Portugal
Lili

Maria said...

Hey! Is this flat in Lehtisaari or Kuusisaari? The view seems familiar.
Btw, you totally rock! I adore your style. =D

vixenoffoxgreen said...

so basically you're moving to paradise right?! Love it, the nostalgia, the lighting, the size and most of all the view-just beautiful Ulrika x

juxnz said...

It looks so tranquil, and obviously a very special place of peace for you.
Best wishes for speedy and successful renovations - I know how physically and emotionally draining they can be.

Radu Prisacaru - UK Internet Marketer said...

I am select your site how one of my favorites sites. Your model is good and single.

hope505 said...

You are going to have a beautiful home!! I can't wait to see after you get your beautiful refrigerator in there *heehee!* Well one thing at a time....it is kind of fun to tear things up once in a while!

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Maria : it's on Tapiola, or just before Tapiola; Otsolahti :)

pumps & luiers said...

was it your grandparents house? so perfect that you can life there after

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Sueper : yes, it's theirs and I'll rent it for now :)