Wednesday 25 July 2012

RETROFYING DRAWERS


We retro-pimped a pair of small IKEA-drawer units to put in the kitchen.








Everyone knows these small multi purpose plywood drawers from ikea!  (You can apparently also get similar from Bauhaus for example.)  I've painted a lot of these for different purposes earlier but the idea to this one came from a Finnish interor blog. You should treat the drawer with oil for wood or wood stain for a sort of vintage look -we treated ours with Roslagen Mahogany (linseed oil tar, a poison free wood preserver. It dries in about a day but we had the units stand for around a week, as I did not want the scent of tar, although otherwise nice and traditional, in out kitchen.) The inside of the drawers were treated with cold pressed linseed oil only, as we'll store food in them. Linseed oils are pretty multi-purpose; we used linseed products from Eddi's and his brother's farm.  (I've done the packing for those.)  The drawer units looks pretty neat just like that already but turning the drawers around adding handles or knobs gives the drawer a more 'old' look. I tried to find some handles at home but they were all too big so we bought suitable ones from Byggnadsapoteket.
And then voilà, pimped drawers are done!




9 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea! It looks better 'pimped'. ;D

Roxy said...

Those look very nice, great job!

Unknown said...

Åh vad smart att vända på lådorna. Det blev verkligen snyggt!

Mariela Santillan said...

Those look really nice and they compliment the shelf too. Love the retro feel to them.

K2 said...

I'm jealous. The US Ikea's don't sell these anymore. I did the same thing years ago with some left over kitchen cabinet hardware. But I can't make a matching one. Pout.

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

LOL - I HAVE THEM.

But yours look heaps better. Loving the knobs.

Anna Vee said...

I'm glad I found my way here the other day - I still have a lot of your posts to read but so far I've loved them all :)

JaclynD said...

Whoa! I have a set of these drawers and have loved their function but never totally loved the look. Well now I am going to stain and put hardware on them this weekend! Why did I not think of this before? Thanks for the great idea!

jessbuurman said...

Its a good way to make their kitchen attractive with the help of wood desk.Really its looking great.