Tuesday 22 March 2011

BALLET

Things I did yesterday: booked tattoo time (to May, the boys over at Legacy are popular…), bought a thick interior magazine and enjoyed it alone with sushi, edamame and a beer (sometimes dining seul is just the best thing), went to the ballet with Tinker and Aino, wore black and had before all of this spent a long time wet set waving & drying my hair only to notice the nice waves go rather straight very fast due to the moist air..

Going to the ballet was beautiful - I haven't seen a ballet in years. A long time ago I sang some seasons in the choir at the National Opera for the Nutcracker ballet. We got a personnel discount and I went to see the ballets running at that time. Anyway, tanding on the side of the stage in the choir I was surprised to hear how the weightless appearing dancers actually sound rather heavy when they hit the floor after the jumps and how the male dancers sighed of exhaustion when lifting the ballerinas. And also, how sweaty they got.

This time we went to see Manon. It had some very beautiful scenes and the costumes and setting for some of them were superb, the bordello scene for example. Which I unfortunately don't have any pictures of. But it was a lot of pastel tulle there I tell you.

I suppose one reason for us finally managing to see a ballet was the Black Swan - there has been more talk about ballet lately due to that movie. I've seen the film and wasn't blown away, but started liking it a little more the next day and thought about the film for a while, which I guess is a sign of good cinema in a certain way. What I did like right away however was the set of posters LaBoca made for the film:

(Three of them shown here. I left out the one I didn't like that much. click for a bigger view.)

I like film posters made the old school way, drawn, like Fairey's Walk the Line. I have a look at Polish Posters every now and then. But what annoys me a little bit here (listen to the expert talking here now) is the ballerina in the poster the most to the right... there's something about that silhouette that just bugs my eye but I suppose I can live with that.

Well, back to me. Black always works if having to do stuff during a day that will end up more fancy at, for example, the Opera. Well as you know I think black works pretty much at whatever, whenever. My top is from H&M - I really like the cut - it's rather early fifties. Just as the striped top this one has a big zipper halfway down from the neck that I'm thinking of removing and changing to a button and loop instead. Zippers are apparently trendy now.

(And yes, you saw correctly, trousers!)

27 comments:

Thelma said...

vau, olet aivan upea!

Mrs Munster said...

Wow, trousers! That was my first thought as I've never seen any photos in hear you wearing trousers. They suit you veeery well! Loving the whole black-outfit

Unknown said...

Love your make-up and hat! :)

xx

http://missingsparkles.blogspot.com/

milingmai said...

i know what you mean about the third poster. it looks as if the ballerina isn't centered (which i guess she is) and anyway she looks a bit like a free vectorgraphic-download and not composed as the others.
i stop my smartass geekery here and simply adore your styling.

tanïa said...

Your black style is beautiful! Incidentally I also had a black day today with even very similar trousers. ;o)
And don't worry what moist did to your hair...the hat still rocks your head!

Anonymous said...

Love your outfit! The cut of the shirt is beautiful, but zippers actually are trendy, although I don't know why, mostly they just look awful making a bulge or kind of that. Go back to basics/ buttons!

Anonymous said...

Love your outfit! The cut of the shirt is beautiful, but zippers actually are trendy, although I don't know why, mostly they just look awful making a bulge or kind of that. Go back to basics/ buttons!

Rakel said...

Herlig antrekk, likte veska di :)
Burde egentlig bestilt meg tattoo time selv, må gjøre ferdig sleeven min ;)

Kristina said...

trevlig topp och skönt att hitta kläder hos kedjorna. Gjorde faktiskt ett kollage idag i femme fatale stil med kläder endast från H&M! Det gäller att vaska fram guldkornen...Har länge uppsökt din blogg och idag blev jag en följare. 1000tack för en fin och inspirerande blogg

Fiona Timantti said...

Ne olikin byysat! Katoin eka et pitkä hame :D

K said...

So glam! Trousers indeed!

K xx

Unknown said...

Possibly the reason the ballet dancers sound heavy is the pointe shoes. Those things are evil... I have the blisters to prove it!
The problem for me is the posture for the third one... something just doesn't look right

ina said...

I need to get that tattoo time booked: paws and hearts for my dog, expanding the skull with some flowers 'n stuff and I'm now also thinking of a cowboy or something related next to the cat... Are you doing the monkey now?

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Milingmai : yes, nd there's something about her proportions and posture that's also wrong.

Jojography : think how nice it would be if the blouse would have a long line of round shiny, or fabric covered, buttons! Hmmm...

Rakel : det är en bra liten vintage väska som rymmer en massa saker:)

Emma : that propably adds to it, but I think all people sound rather heavy when making jumps :) I also think there's something about the posture and her proportions that makes her look odd.

Ina : the monkey. And sailor cherry!

Emily's Moose - Karolina Kubikowska said...

I loved Black Swan. I've seen it 3 times in the cinema. And I like the posters you showed. Puls I was surprised about the polish posters that you look through every now and then. I mean, pleasantly surprised. I didn't know anyone from abroad did that anymore. :)

<3
K

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing the posters, I wonder why they did not use them more in advertising the film. I actually like the fourth one too, it has some futurist feel and in my mind evokes the madness in the film (but i would leave out the planet on top, it looks rather stupid).

I heard the dancers (to the cheapest place in the audience) the last time I went to see a ballet. It destroys the illusion of weightlessness but adds to admiration for their effort.

Jil said...

Agree about the poster, i think there's something wrong with her chest that makes the whole posture look off. And her right arm kind of looks like it has a 2nd elbow. Other than that, i think it's my favourite of all four, love the font and the whole lurkiness of the swan.

...and yeah, zippers. And maxidresses all over the place. Can't help but feeling like wallpaper with feet in them (1,80m of pattern just don't work for me).

The Retro Natural said...

I like those trousers! Do you say pants? it's much more common here but I like trousers better lol :)

I've been meaning to see The Black Swan movie but it hasn't happened yet..gotta see if it's available on netflix, there was so much hoopla about it around here in Los Angeles because they only showed it in maybe 3 theaters!

Oh, the ballerina bothers me too! lol The pose is a bit odd to me.

VintageGoa said...

You look fabulous :)
xoxo

Dial V for Vintage said...

Black is always beautiful, you can't go wrong with that! Is the top from H&M still available in the stores? The cut is very elegant!

Ylva said...

Åh, vilken fantastisk och elegant outfit!Svart är alltid rätt. Var har du fått tag på de snygga byxorna? och tack för tipset om den lilla minibaskern från Molla Mills, det blir en perfekt 30-års present till en kompis i La Tukholma:) Hoppas du vinner tävlingen!

Karin said...

Jag undrar också var du hittat byxorna - de är ursnygga!

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

The pants are from H&M, but very very old!

Ylva said...

I found similar pants from Swedish VILA :)

Whitney said...

I love the outfit! From the glimpse of the shoes, I do think I'd love those, as well. What kind are they?

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Whitney : my winterboots, these ones:
http://freelancersfashion.blogspot.com/2010/11/time-to-take-out-winter-boots-again.html

private detectives Toronto said...

nice tattoo
looks so stylishly