Monday 4 February 2013

THE ONCE-A-YEAR PASTRY


To balance up all the healthy things I baked some Runeberg's cakes. They are moist cakes with almond (and some cardamom) with jam in the middle, named after our national herald Johan Ludvig Runeberg (or, actually, after his wife Fredrika). The real shape of the pastry is high and cylindar but I don't have molds for that so I made them in cupcake molds, works just as well.

You only get these -or make them- around this time of the year, as the Runeberg day is February 5th. Which is insane as they taste so good. I always try to eat trough all bakeries variations, hehe, although this year I only went for the home made ones.

There's  actually a bunch of food and baking you "may" only have once a year. While enjoying gingerbreads in June for example would feel a bit off but I think I am going to break the etiquette and make more of these just whenever. Or if not then a raw-verision, which recipe I have been playing with in my head.

5 comments:

anniina said...

Heyy, could you give me the recipe? I tried to make them once, but they didn't taste anything like they're supposed to! Those you made look like the real deal :--)

Katja said...

Looks delicious! We have pepernoten, taai-taai, sugaranimals and a couple of other sweets which you only eat in December, for the celebration of St. Nicolas. It would be nice if those things are all year availeble, but on the other hand, this way they stay kind of special.

khaleda said...

You can be a freelancer earn by simply being a member of this site............http://earn4refer.com/ref.php?page=act/ref&invcod=228728

Mama D said...

In all the 23 years that I lived in Finland I have never tried one! Missed a nice piece of Finnish cuisine I think...

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Anniina : I made a blend of different ones, but changed half of the wheat flour to spelt. it should ba around 50/50 floru and korppujauhoja. And lots lots of almond. I put in some bitter almond essence too. Remember to soak them with rhum, punssi, or apple juice when cool, before decoratin, so that they become moist and yummy :)

Mama D: whoah! Damn! You should definitely google up (just any) a recipe and make some :)