Monday 5 October 2009

HALF MOONS


My nails are rather small and I seldom do anything else with them than just paint them red or pink. Sometimes however I go for this vintage style manicure; colouring the moons in a paler colour, or leaving them without varnish with only the base coat showing. I don't use any manicure strips or fancy nail paint for this, only a precise hand, but it's a bit tricky that way so I have been thinking of investing in either one to make the painting a little faster.

I've come across pictures and videos on the web calling a manicure like this "Dita nails". Surely she has her nails painted in this 30's style from time to time but it's not like she has come up with the idea herself. (It's not like all shoes with something heart shaped are called Minna Parikka shoes either :).

I saw the movie Public Enemies some time ago and noticed that you could catch a glimpse of Billies nails painted in this style in one scene. I like those small details in movies that you might or might not notice, but still add an over-all touch to the authenticity of the era pictured.

18 comments:

Nanile said...

I had forgotten about this !
Manicure tonight, maybe :)

Fluffy Pink Duck said...

My late Grandma told me about the care she used to take not to pain the bottom half moon of the nail when she was a young thing in the 1930s.

Anonymous said...

I could never pull this off, but it looks really good!

jewlover2 said...

I agree about the 'Dita Nails'. I get very annoyed when people ask me to do 'Dita Von Teese' hair...it's all I can do not to say, 'Oh, you mean Lana Turner hair?' heh heh. But yeah, unfortunately, Dita is the only window many gals today have into vintage glamour. Sad.

Frl. Spatz said...

Oh, I love your nails (and of course your blog <3 ).

Xoxo,
Frl. Spatz
(Germany)

WendyB said...

Adore this look.

tam said...

Gosh you must have a really steady hand!!!! Your nails look fab x x

Rosie Unknown said...

Those are amazing!!! I love the picture too, it is really amazing!

Andi B. Goode said...

Oh, I love this look. =] I noticed that in Public Enemies, too! =D
-Andi x

Anonymous said...

An eye for details, i like that!

Sherin said...

These look good. I don't think my hand is steady enough to do this, so I'll probably have to buy something to make it easier. your nails came out great!

Laura Elisa said...

Fabulous! This is also how I do my nails. Apparently it was Rita Hayworth who introduced painting the whole nail, but I prefer leaving my moons natural. I think it adds a nice bit of detailing :)

pumps & luiers said...

pretty - i'm the worst nailpolisher in the world, i always have to do some major touch-ups afterwards!

www.janetteria.com said...

I love it. :-)

XOXO

3canvasart.com said...

Hi

I like this blog

thanks

Let Canvas Art turn your emotional photo into a painting Art on Canvas, Stunning canvas art,canvas prints; canvas photos and also reproduce your photos on canvas.

Fia said...

I tried this style, using some circular stickers I found at home to cover the half moons, and it turned out great. Extremely easy too!

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Cottongrass : sounds good! I don't have any sticker like that but I have thought about cutting circles from others perhaps?

Fia said...

I think you can buy round stickers in any paper store. Mine were leftovers from CD labels. :)