Thursday 23 December 2010

PREPARATIONS

I'm at work in Siberian weather loaing like hell until midnight, but yesterday and this morning I prepared a lot of things and put ourselves in the Christmas mood!

With a martini and some Sinatra we decorated our small Christmas tree last night.

It's actually the first Christmas tree I've had since I moved away from home a decade ago!

I usually pack a lot of my gifts in old newspapers - saving money, saving nature. Normally I go for the daily papers I've read at home, but this time I picked up some free chinese magazines in my local supermarket (apparently Tapiola is full of Chinese readers?). I make the cards out of lace-like cake paper or left over gift paper from last year.

If you have no idea of what gifts to give, a pretty bowl (from the flea market/super market/fancy store, however you like it) filled with fresh fruit would at least be appreciated by me.

I baked heaps of gingerbreads! Spelt gingerbreads with a hint of orange and another set with almonds.

Eddi wasn't totally happy with being dressed in my apron, having to mix the other dough. But he did enjoy eating it later on.

Saved some for ourselves, while the rest is meant to be decorated and given away.

The decorated ones turned out surprisingly ugly though. For a while I considered saying it was Eddi's kids who baked them. Disappointment. But well, I'm good at a lot of other things! And they do taste good.

I also gave myself a little Christmas present!I had already give up on receiving these before the holidays, but then the delivery boy arrived only minutes before I was on my way to work. Ave Maria was playing in hte background when I opened the parcel. It was a very beautiful moment.

And very beautiful shoes!It is however minus 20 C outside so I won't be wearing these beauties for some time. Well, except for indoors.

Bonus cat-in-the-box!

How are your Holiday preparations coming along?

Ok, Edit : it's almost minus thirty, not 'just' twenty.

18 comments:

mispapelicos said...

Wonderful moments...Good about the wrapping paper. I keep the old one for next year to give to other people.
have a wonderful cXmas my dear friend.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

Aw, the last photo is so very cute. I sometimes use newspaper for wrapping too, or brown paper with potato prints. I like getting creative at this time of year (and don't like spending much money on something that will only be thrown away!).

Gina Americana said...

God Jul Ulrika!

Anonymous said...

Christmas prompted another arguement in my family about the consumerist trend and breaking meaningless traditions. Oh but next year, when I rule the roost in my new house, I'll do Christmas my way ;) Those cookies look delicious, and that's one hell of a handsome Eddi right there. My goodness. I hope you have yourselves a very Happy Christmas =) xoxo

Pia said...

Katten och lådan :). Min katt har också fått en stor en, fylld med blompapper och annat från presenter. Hon har gjort det till sitt hus och chillar där hela tiden. God Jul, jättevacker gran ni har. Jag köpte en amaryllis åt mig själv i present som blommar för tillfället!

Bette on Toast said...

Aww, that reminds me of a children's book I used to have called 'My cat likes to hide in boxes'!

I really like the posts where we get to see little snippets of your home life. I'm sure you only show us the most picturesque bits, but you make it look like every moment of your everyday life is glamorous and vintage!

CherryRosie said...

What a fun post! I love decorating and baking for the holidays! I get depressed if i dont have my tree by Dec 5th! Shoes are lovely, cookies look yum! Have a Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous post... oh the colour of those shoes is beautiful.....

Emma Powick said...

those shoes are just beautiful wherever did u get them? x

Emma Powick said...

those shoes are just beautiful wherever did u get them? x

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas! I'm a little early just in case I miss the dress reveal. Hope it turned out lovely. Your cookies look yummy; they are decorated better than you think. AND you shoes are to die for! I love them! If you wouldn't mind sharing, where did you get them from?

XOXO from California US

Vanessa said...

Awww, looks like you're having a beautiful Christmas season!

Maja said...

God og glædelig jul til dig og din familj ;)

Sara Kristiina said...

You got some beautiful shoes!

-Sara
autumn, coffee and inspiration

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

The shoes are Melissa's Temptations, via Karmaloop :)

Saba said...

I am in love with your kitchen! (I'm a little kitchen obsessed lately haha)

Also as a child, one of my main birthday wishes was a big bowl of exotic fruits! I think it makes for a great present!

Dropstitch said...

hehe, Eddi looks great in your apron!

Barbi said...

Just discovered your blog. Love the idea of wrapping gifts in newspaper!! And from the pictures, your cookies do not look ugly. :)