Friday 3 October 2008

DIFFERENT SHADES OF PINK / DIFFERENT SHAPES OF A TEE

I got challenged by Vasiliisa to go all pink today, as today is the Wear Pink Day and October is the breast cancer awareness month. The Wear Pink Day is a gesture to spread breast cancer awareness. I won't pass the challenge on to anyone specific but to everyone who feels up for it! If you don't want to go pink all the way, you can always do it with noticeable details, or wear the ribbon.

Since I have and will be spending most of the day at a place where I am required to wear certain clothing I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the whole pink thing properly, but I will go for some different shades of pink in my mini-tutorial on How to Alter a Basic Boat/U-neck Tee!

I think a round neck lining is nice, its very late 50's early 60's classic and goes well with skirts, capris, shorts and whatever. I jave lot's of basic H&M ones (in cheap material) but sometimes that kind of a tee can feel a bit too plain paired with certain garments. That model can also make someone who boxes (read: have big shoulders ands arms), especially someone whos has been boxing and do not box that regularly anymore, look kind of heavy (xenia warrior style you know). Changing the lining draws the attention away from the shoulders and gives the tee a whole new look, and it's really easy to do so!

One way is to grab some fabric (about 5 cm) in the middle of the lining and sew it togheter tigh twith a few stiches (ummm, but opposite of my drawing, you might want to sew it toghether on the inside for the right result :). I've done this to a dress and it changed it from plain to fancy, giving it a more feminine look. Why not add a brooche or bow in the middle too?


Another way to change the shape is to fasten the neck lining togheter with the sleeve opening (it requires the sleeves to be rather short though!). The reslut will be a bit reminding the lining of a galaxy dress. I've tied the sleeves and the lining toghether with a thin black ribbon on the black tee I have in the post below. That way you can alter the tee for just the time that you wear it, but I'd still recommend some stiches or a safetypin on the inside since the bows might not stay in place. For a more clean graphical finish, just sew it togheter tight, skip the bows!


If the shirt is not too skin tight you can also combine these two and the reslut will be really pretty! Try adding a big bow or a flower just to one side if you want some extra flair, even though I think this lining works best as it is.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHere's the mice? then it would look just like a cinderella story ;) I didn't know about the pinkday today...shame on me..

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Mothersvea : But the wear pink day was 'official' today only in Finland! It varies from country to country so you'll still have a chance :)

Kitten loves vintage said...

Ah, I was wondering if the tee in the last post came like that or if you altered it. Now I know, and thanks for the tips!

Anonymous said...

You're a supergenius. What great suggestions for femme-ing up some dumpy tees! Thanks, kitten!

Unknown said...

ohh! what a fun and easy idea! I will have to try it with t-shirts that I am getting boerd with.

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Kitten & Sal : you're welcome :)

Heather : Yup it's worth a try!

Anonymous said...

Great ideas--thank you so much for sharing those ideas!!! :) I shall have to hunt some tees up and see if I have anything suitable for reworking. ;)

Miss Rascal said...

I've also done the bow thing on several of tees over the years, it's truly a life saver!

I also like stitching on pearls (from broken necklaces) and lace.

It's a wonderful feeling to get a basic tee from Primark for £1 and with a bit of love and thread you'll look like a million bucks.

Thanks for sharing, darling.

Doriz Jeltzin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I have this book that shows you sooo many ways to rework t-shirts... from skirts/blouses to a wedding dress!

http://turquoisepassion.blogspot.com/

Miss_Red said...

Love the idea of tying the bows between the neckline and arm opening-very cute!
Great to see also that people are supporting a great cause :)

Gem said...

What a great post! I might have to root around the closet to find some pink clothes to wear because it sounds fun!

Mrs Munster said...

Thank you for the great tip. I've got few tops that really needs glamming up and now I know how to do that :)

Diana Coronado said...

Well done !!

We ♥ pink !!

Hilde Hooper said...

I fell in love with your outfit in the post below - particularly the cut of the top. And then you post this little write up on how to create these beautiful looks!
I know what I am doing come holidays.
Thanks so much for the instructions!

Miss Urbanita said...

Very useful. And.. are you in pink today? We haven´t seen you ;)

Dotti said...

Lovely post. What more could I say?