Thursday 9 April 2009

DID YOU KNOW...


...that once you can roll your hair right and do a proper pin curl, you can manage any hairdo you want (well, almost).

Roll your curls in different direction, twist and turn them around to try out different styles and results. The trick is not only to roll it right, but also to learn how to fasten the bobby pin in such a way that it does not miss-shape or flatten the roll, and without showing too much. Bobby pins are easier to hide in dark hair, but you can also learn to cover them in blond hair like mine. The thicker the hair, the easier to hide since there is more to stick it in, but I suppose thinner hair has the advantage of fewer pins since it is lighter. How well you hair turns out also depends on it's level of cleanness or how fly or heavy it is, but in the end it's all about one thing: practice makes master!

In the picture above is, apart from a giant arm of mine, also my 30's inspired "faking short hair" -do, which always gets a lot of appreciation. If you have long hair like me here's a simple descriptive drawing and a quick tutorial of how I did it (if you already have short hair just roll the hair around your face inwards -step 1,2, 3 and 6- and curl the rest in the back with a curling iron or so):


1.Sleek your hair in the front/your bangs and fasten it to the side (in this example to the left). My bags are so long for the moment they need only one pin to stay in place.
2. Take a sling of hair from the top left and roll it inwards towards your face and place it so that it covers the pin which you fastened your bangs with. If you have shorter bangs and needed more pins, never mind - but then you can place some decorative pins to hold the front hair instead. Try pulling your hair slightly downwards between the pins to create the image of finger waved hair (you can of course do this with longer bags too).
3. Take the a little hair from the back togehter with the hair hanging on the side, roll it in the same direction as the previous curl and fasten it just beneath, leaving the roll 'hanging' on the ear.
4. Roll the hair under the ear inwards and fasten it just above the hair line in the neck, so that half of the curl 'hangs' in the neck.
5. Roll the rest of your hair in the back the same way (I make four more curls) going from the left to the right
6. Roll the hair on the right side of you face inwards in one roll (which will be in the opposite direction of all the other rolls you've made) and fasten it just above the ear.
7.Finish off with a high-shine spray.

PS. the promised tutorial of this 'do is coming up soon :)

29 comments:

Bucca said...

ooh awesome can't wait to try!

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Bucca : Great! Happy hair-time :)

Salla said...

Thank you for posting this, I'm so excited! I really have to try this :)

Olivia Rouge said...

oh my god that is absolutely gorgeus, now even I might get my hair looking like that! hooray! ps. nice dress <3

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Salla : Go for it girl!

Olivia : Nice dress indeed :)

pumps & luiers said...

love what you do with your hair, allright tried it but I'm no good at it!

Anonymous said...

Oh a hair tutorial :D
Great, now I have something to fill my day with ;)
Thanks a lot <3
Jade

Anonymous said...

I've really got to give this a go. Wonder if my unruly locks will play nicely ...

Dave Feucht said...

I'll definitely remember this for next time I need to style my hair for a date :D (just kidding)

It is a wonderful trick though, I think it looks great.

Elina said...

Oh my, that's just so beautiful! Can't wait to try it out! But for now, I think my hair is quite dry so I can pull out all the pincurls :)

Glad Påsk! :D

Marta said...

I love this kind of 40's glamour!

What we four say said...

I love this look. I had mine like that in the front for halloween and some dropped spiral curls in the back. This makes me miss my short bob and the easy finger waves I used to do when it was shorter. Your drawings is so pretty too. ;)

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Sueper : You really have to do it quite many times before it looks and feels good, and it will one day :)

Jade : Glad to be able to entartain you ;)

Sal : Ohm you have such big locks I think y ou could do a whole lot with them!

Melancholic optimist : Haha, of course :D

Elina : The dryer the better (mitt hår låter knaster-knaster ibland)

Artificial Magazine : I love to go all glamour :) Better to over- than underdo it, right?

Pretty Pirate : Thanks <3

Sherin said...

I love the hair, I've wanted to learn how to do it for ages. Thanks for the post. Practice really does make perfect - I'm slowly getting it.

kad the mad said...

this tutorial is great!i always look for new ways to style my hair! i've tried to do pincurls but they just dont stay and if they do, the bobby pins show, it's terrible! i'll just have to work on it i guess... do you have any more ideas for short hair?
keep up with the great work!

Kati said...

That looks lovely!

LadyLA said...

love your hair and love love LOVE your blog x

Iole said...

hi, just discverd your blog and stopped by. love it!
come to visit mine
xoxo

Clare said...

Thank you for your pin curl help! I finally bought the biggest pack of bobby pins ever (how do those things get lost so quickly?) and I tried out a pin curl extravaganza on my hair last night. I got lots of lovely comments so thanks!

I also second the request for ideas for short hair, something to cheer me up as my bob-cut mistake is growing out would be great.

http://myownfairhands.blogspot.com

Eloïse Sunshine said...

So cool, i wore my afro last saturday night, now i cant wait to receive my new straightener to try this hair do!

B-b-b-etty said...

urtjusigt! gjorde nåt liknande i somras men bara på sidorna, resten av håret hade jag i en snodd

WeirdRockStar said...

Fabulousity!
Tried them today, ( only with much smaller coils given I have short and thin hair ) and I love the non- pulling option for a bun. Hope you don´t mind but I linked your tutorial to my blog.

Anna said...

Jag har letat efter en precis sån här tutorial. Tack fina du! Och ha en jättebra påskhelg!

Vanessa said...

Cute! I already have very curly hair, so I probably won't be trying it out, but it looks great on you!

esme and the laneway said...

Beautiful! Thanks for posting, I can't wait to try this. Now I just want to go blonde again! :D

X said...

Thanks for visiting LOOK10.
is a pleasure to have you on the list of nominees to look10.
Kisses

Sandra @ Debutanteclothing.com said...

Oh I love pin curls. Great tutorial! I've been very boring with creating fun styles with my hair since I bobbed it, but it is just long enough to do cute pin curls like this. My bangs on the other hand might give me a bit of trouble.

Elina said...

Haha, jaa.. knaster knaster -då är det tillräckligt torrt!

逆援助 said...

セレブ達は一般の人達とは接する機会もなく、その出会う唯一の場所が「逆援助倶楽部」です。 男性はお金、女性はSEXを要求する場合が多いようです。これは女性に圧倒的な財力があるから成り立つことの出来る関係ではないでしょうか?