Saturday 26 January 2013

FROM THE DEEP DEEP WOODS IN THE NORTH


The fairy tale illustrations of John Bauer had a huge impact on me as a child! The (not that big and dark albeit rather similar) woods on the island in the archipelago where we spent our summers easily turned into the deep deep forests of his with all it' strolls, elves and  huldras, princes and princesses. We had a poster of the little boy and the troll on the wall in my grandmother's cabin and I have spent several years falling to sleep staring at it.









Bauer was born in the late 19th century and began his career painting and illustrating int he early 1900's; his style being very contemporary for that time. He was renowned for his work and was already then thought of as Sweden's foremost fairytale illustrator. His little boy- and princess characters were inspired by his son and wife. John Bauer and his family drowned when a boat they were on sank in the big Vättern lake in 1918.

9 comments:

Katja said...

They are fascinating. Reminds me of books I had from Elsa Beskow and the drawings of Rie Cramer: there is so much to see in the details. Although these ones are a bit more 'mysterious', the one I mentioned are really for kids ;)

Heather said...

These illustrations are just beautiful. I love the earthy tones, and all the little details. How sad that he and his family drowned! :(

electronette said...

Wow, thank you for this! Love these images, so compelling and I will be looking up more about Bauer - such a tragedy how they died :(

Danger Dolly said...

Beautiful art! These remind me of Theodor Kittelsen. You might also like Ida Rentoul Outhwaite.

Mi Mi Mendine said...

Amazing pictures !

XX

MI MI MENDINE, blog about fashion, trends and inspiration

Natalia L. said...

These are truly beautiful!!! I can see why they had an impact on you as a kid...

Girls that glitter love the dark
xoxo

LandGirl1980 said...

Stunning. Thank you for sharing :)

Frocktasia said...

John Bauer illustrations are dreamy. I remember being mesmerized by them as a kid when mum read us a bedtime story...x

makeup magpie said...

Amazing illustrations! I especially love the first one, but they are all beautiful!