Friday 16 November 2012

ONE SCARF, ONE BERET, FIVE MINUTES, SIX LOOKS


(Here's the baby as part of the outfit once again as it needed a dash of colour. You gotta do what you gotta do.)

Yesterday I kept a lecture on vintage inspired styles and styling. My thesis being, as you may know from here, that you can do very much with very little; manage to add a flair of certain styles or eras wearing pretty much anything as long as you acessorize it right; it is how you wear it and what you wear it with. Do note that dressing inspired by something is not the same thing as dressing up to something; it is not re-creating an outfit form a certain era, just playing with the vibes from it.

I planned to demonstrate this subtly during my talk by changing a few details in my outfit, which I wanted to be rather neutral, both retro and timeless, for it to work. But as I went on babbling I kind of forgot to do it properly and on time.



So I will go for it here instead - sort of 20'ish onwards! Five minutes, five more looks:






There you have it, easy as whoah!

The blouse and skirt are both from Tara Starlet. I folded the waist band down in half as it rises too high to look good on me.

And no, my child is not really in the pic just to balance out the soft shades with his red suit. But it sounded like a more fun and less shouty of a reason didn't it?

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look gorgeous! I love all of the outfits & the options you've given! Thanks for the inspiration!

xoxo,
tina

MelleM said...

As always I love your outfits and your looks ..... Very nice .... And your little man too ....

Kati said...

You look gorgeous, as always!
-Kati

Anonymous said...

This is very inspiring. But it's true that to make different outfits, you must have interesting pieces with interesting details as well.And here is where things may get difficult.

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Anonymous: but you could di this with a olain black jersey dress too for example! And just any scarf woyld wiek for this example. Or some other detail to change it with. You don't need a fancy combo from tara stalet.

But, of course, even if you can do a lot with a little that little has to, altough plain, look good. You don't get away with anything for free so to say; one has to try at least a little.

Mancunian Vintage said...

You look fabulous! And who doesn't look better without a dash of colour in the form of a very cute baby?!

Do you pin your beret to keep it on or does it stay put regardless?

Melanie said...

I always love your outfits :)
really great post.
and your son is such a cutie ! :)

In the Ruins of Berlin said...

Yeah, you managed to button all three buttons in the waist and you look really incredible! Will play with my dotted scarf today, thank you xxx

(Retro) Sonja said...

I love the detail on your skirt! The different ways look great. And your son looks like he doesn't get what's up, haha!

Anonymous said...

This reminds me that I've bene neglecting my white polkadotted scarf way too long!

Jen said...

I love how you can get different looks with the same accessories! Picture #4 looks very Bonnie & Clyde to me. You are lovely, and Dag is SO CUTE!

Natalia L. said...

I love how Dag is looking at you on the first pic, so cute!
He's like:
1st pic: Mama, what are you doing?
2nd pic: Oh, no..., no more pictures...
Hahaha!

And I love how an outfit can change depending on the accessories and how we wear them!

Girls that glitter love the dark
xoxo

Šárka said...

Thanks for the lecture yesterday, it was really nice and inspiiring! Plus Arbis bibliotek is a nice place where to do those kind of things.
Trevligt veckoslut!

Unknown said...

Such fabulous looks! xxx

Kristina said...

Fiiin du är! Som alltid. Gillar det enkla vardagligt tidlösa i de här kläderna. Bravo!

Sini -ope said...

Wow! Can't believe that this is the first time I found your blog!! I collect vintage bags and love vintage stuff! :D You have a new reader!

Marquise des Ténèbres said...

fay dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde!

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Mancunian Vintage: My beret stays out without pinning in most cases. If I keep it really far back it might slip off a little. BUt with the roll like this (in the fourth pic) it will still stay on wihtout any problems.

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Sarka P: thank you for coming :)

Heather said...

Fantastic! I love every look!

Anonymous said...

This is so cute.

Mrs J said...

I really liked the idea of changing your outfit details during the lecture! Oh, and I liked the outfits too :-)